Updated April 22, 2021
Today is the 51st anniversary of Earth Day! There are many ways you can help volunteer this year for Earth Day. Last year many opportunities were virtual due to the pandemic, but many locations are open for volunteers this year! Although there won't be as many traditional Earth Day activities, there are still so many ways to celebrate and have a positive impact.
Here are 15 ideas to have an impactful Earth Day:
1. Attend the Earth Day Volunteer Event at Randall's Island, NYC or find an opportunity near you with Volunteermatch.org.
2. Register and attend NASA's virtual Earth Day event.
3. Unplug electronics when they are not in use and switch to energy-saving lightbulbs.
4. Take shorter showers, change your ritual to turn off the tap when shampooing or conditioning.
5. Attend the Nature Conservatory's online celebration for Earth Day.
6. Go paperless on all your bills.
7. Calculate your carbon footprint and offset it. Check out Sea Trees where you can donate to offset your carbon footprint by planting mangrove trees.
8. Learn about going "gas-free" with your next car with, the virtual Electrify your Ride Event.
9. Support sustainable clothing brands. For sustainable swimwear, we love Sensi Graves Bikinis. Be mindful when you purchase clothes, asking yourself: A. Do I need it? B. Could I buy something vintage/pre-owned instead?
10. Adopt some houseplants that help purify the air. (Might just make your home environment a little better, but can also keep our relationship to the Earth top of mind.)
11. Switch to sustainable cleaning products for your home. Check out Blueland which delivers to your door.
12. Set up an online fundraiser to an Earth-related cause you care about. You can create one via Facebook or FirstGiving.
13. Go vegan or vegetarian for a day, or a few days out of each week. Understanding the carbon footprint of meat may change the way you think about it.
14. Share this or another Earth Day article with your network and encourage others to take action.
15. Check out earthday.org to join specific initiatives and see more great ideas
We hope everyone can at least get a little bit of fresh air and sunshine today. It is a strange time to be celebrating Earth Day, with coronavirus and COVID-19 concerns, many of us have limited ways to get outside and even enjoy nature today. However, we all have ways that we can make a difference.
Let us know how you chose to celebrate Earth Day by sending us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org